LITHIUM OROTATE: NOT JUST AN ALTERNATIVE TREATMENT FOR DEPRESSION, BIPOLAR, AND ANXIETY
DISCLAIMER: CONSULT WITH A DOCTOR BEFORE DECIDING ON A TREATMENT PLAN FOR BI-POLAR DISORDER, DEPRESSION, ANXIETY, CANCER OR ANY OTHER DISEASE.
THE VIRTUES OF LITHIUM OROTATE
Lithium orotate is the natural form of lithium that exists as a salt. Most people are familiar with lithium carbonate, a pharmaceutical that was once prescribed in high doses to bipolar patients.
Lithium is actually a naturally-occurring trace mineral and lithium orotate means it has been bonded to orotic acid, which allows for safe and easy absorption in the body.
Although you always want to check in with your doctor or naturopath before starting a new supplement, lithium has been used for many years to support concentration, a happy mood, a healthy stress response and more.
Lithium orotate is NOT the same as the pharmaceutical lithium medication prescribed for bipolar disorder. Prescription lithium is actually lithium carbonate, a less bioavailable form of lithium that must be taken in significantly higher doses. While lithium carbonate requires patients to take hundreds of milligrams per dose, lithium orotate can be administered at between 5-20mg and have substantial positive effects, without all of the negative side effects of lithium carbonate.
Lithium orotate is non-prescription, and available over-the-counter like many other nutritional supplements. It is considered safe, even by the FDA, and we have not seen any problems arise when used in the recommended doses. Lithium carbonate is very different in terms of its effects on the body in comparison with lithium orotate.
But lithium orotate is a natural lithium SALT that can be administered at a low dose (5 to 20 mg per day). It has a broad medicinal action on the body and also on the mind and mood. It works in tandem with Lugol’s iodine / Iodoral supplements to restore normal thyroid function to the body.
Lithium supports the health and function of the hippocampus and interacts with several neurotransmitters and receptors in the central nervous system to promote mental focus and memory. In micro-doses, there is generally no issue when using Lithium Orotate. Always suggest working with your physician or a naturopath if you have specific concerns.
Below are some of the medicinal benefits of Lithium Orotate:
Boosts cognitive function
- Promotes the growth of neurons
- Prevents neuron damage due to high cortisol levels
- Stimulate neurogenesis in Down’s Syndrome patients
- Promotes a positive mental outlook
- Supports detoxification enzymes in the brain
- Boosts neurotransmitter activity
Every home should have Lithium Orotate in their medicine cabinet. Throw out the Tylenol and add Lithium Orotate!
- Alternative treatment for bipolar disorder / manic-depression (Mucuna pruriens can be used with lithium orotate to powerfully treat bipolar disorder naturally)
- Alternative cure for depression (Mucuna pruriens can be used with lithium orotate to powerfully treat depression naturally)
- Alternative cure for anxiety (Mucuna pruriens can be used with lithium orotate to powerfully treat phobias naturally as well as other forms of anxiety)
- Cure for PTSD (Mucuna pruriens can be used with lithium orotate to powerfully treat PTSD naturally)
- Cure for ADHD (Lithium and Mucuna pruriens can be used together to treat ADHD naturally)
- Natural treatment for OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder)
- Diminishes the risk of suicide
- Regulates circadian rhythms
- Natural treatment for insomnia
- Natural treatment for anorexia
- Natural treatment for all types of addiction (lithium orotate should be used with Mucuna pruriens to treat addictions)
- Natural treatment for alcoholism (lithium orotate should be used with Kudzu and Mucuna pruriens to overcome alcohol addictions)
- Strengthens bone tissue
- Natural cure for osteoporosis (should be used in tandem with Vitamin K2 supplements to remineralize bones)
- Prevents Neurodegeneration
- Prevents cell death in Parkinson’s Disease, Alzheimer’s Disease, and Huntington’s Disease
- Reduces the symptoms of Tourette’s
- Cure for Hepatitis when taken with calcium
- Used to prevent epileptic seizures
- Natural Headache Treatment
- Treats Cluster Headaches Naturally
- Treats Migraine Headaches Naturally
- Can be used with Lugol’s iodine to treat hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism
- Can be used as an alternative to Cesium as a cure for cancer that works by alkalizing the body
HOW TO USE LITHIUM OROTATE WITH LUGOL’S IODINE TO TREAT HYPERTHYROIDISM NATURALLY (OR HYPOTHYROIDISM)
There are certain types of infection or disease states that can predispose a person to developing hypothyroidism or hypothyroidism. A schistosomiasis infection, for example, can predispose a person to developing hyperthyroidism.
Certain B vitamin deficiencies can also make it difficult for the body to properly utilize iodine to feed the thyroid and the reproductive organs. These supportive vitamins and minerals include:
If you are trying to correct your thyroid function, take the above listed vitamins and minerals at the recommended dosage along with Lugol’s Iodine. Start by taking Lithium Orotate at 5 mg in the evening.
Administer just 1 drop of Lugol’s iodine 2% for the first week of treatment along with the supportive nutrients during the first week.
During the second week of treatment, continue taking 5 mg of Lithium Orotate, but increase your Lugol’s Iodine dose to 2 drops along with the supportive nutrients. Increase the Lugol’s dose by 1 drop per week until you reach 20 drops per day.
Lithium is a mineral that has completely unique properties in terms of how it works in the brain and its impact on mood. Virtually all prescription psychiatric drugs work on the neurotransmitters, either by interacting with the receptors on the outside of the cell (the cell membrane), or by increasing the amount of a certain brain chemical like serotonin or dopamine.
Guess what? Big pharma couldn’t duplicate lithium found in nature and they couldn’t patent it. So, they copied some of its properties and made a toxic Lithium Carbonate that they use in very high doses for bipolar disorder. That prescription drug is a kidney and thyroid destroyer. That toxic junk can put you on dialysis and give you Hypothyroidism. They wanted us to think that their toxic mess is the same as the one found in nature. No way.
Lithium Orotate is safe! At very low doses, it’s able to get inside the brain cells (the neurons), affecting the inner workings of the cell itself in ways that can greatly benefit mood.
Even the micro doses in lithium orotate may help calm brain activity, promote a positive mood, support emotional wellness and the brain’s natural detoxification process, provide antioxidant support, and promote the natural balance of brain neurotransmitters.
Lithium deficiency in certain insulin-sensitive tissues may be associated with blood sugar imbalance. Low levels have been found in children with developmental delay, and individuals with attention deficit, nervousness, lack of focus or lack of sleep.
Lithium Orotate for Neurotransmitter and Mood Support
- Lithium enhances the metabolism of every neurotransmitter studied; lithium boosts serotonin, dopamine, norepinephrine, GABA and acetylcholine activity in the brain.
- Lithium boosts diminished signal activity (2ndmessenger signals) in depressed and bipolar depressed brains.
- Lithium controls mania by dampening down excess glutamate in the manic brain.
- Lithium controls mania by dampening down excess dopamine in the manic brain.
- Lithium decreases inflammation in the brain.
- Lithium counteracts Candida buildup in the manic brain.
- Lithium boosts neuroplasticity to recover lost synapses in volume in the depressed and bipolar brain.
Lithium orotate might be most helpful when there is a clear genetic piece to one’s mood problems. That means someone with a strong family history of mood problems might benefit most, or when their own problems began very early in life, especially if the condition recurs even when there are no obvious triggers for it (i.e., stress).
Depression is a loss of synaptic connections in the structures of the brain that control mood, we lose connections when our neuroplastic ability to grow and maintain connections is overwhelmed by inflammation and other destructive forces. Lithium boosts neuroplasticity.
Lithium orotate might also be considered when the mood is unstable, for example in someone who has a lot of irritability, agitation, or frequent mood swings. And also in people who had previously gotten relief from medications, but where they’ve become less effective over time. It appears to be a helpful adjunct to medications, often helping them work better again after they’ve “pooped out.”
So, how does it work to support mood? Lithium is thought to help regulate the neurotransmitter glutamate by keeping the amount of glutamate between brain cells at a stable, healthy level to support healthy brain function.
The mineral has been shown to be neuroprotective and to prevent neuronal cell death from free radical stress, effectively protecting neurons from glutamate-induced, NMDA receptor-mediated free radical damage in animals. In effective doses, lithium reduces neurological deficits.
In animal models, lithium was also found to promote increased cytoprotective B-cell activity. Research has also found using lithium, in a long-term low-dose support, promotes healthy brain aging.
Lithium for Brain Detoxification Support
Research has also shown lithium to support the brain’s natural detoxification process. It has shown potential as a neuroprotective agent against Aluminum-induced oxidative stress and shows promise to protect the brain against free radical damage. In animal models, lithium increased intracellular glutathione levels and reduced oxygen metabolite damage, suggesting that it selectively boosts glutathione-dependent enzymes to protect against free radical stress.
Lithium Orotate has a strong mood-stabilizing effect on the body, but it is also a strong anti-cancer medicine and for those who have experienced infection that lingers or that pulses and occasionally returns from out of nowhere, it is good medicine.
It alkalizes the body, in a manner similar to Cesium, which is in the same family of elements as Lithium on the periodic table. Cesium can be used to cure a wide array of different diseases by powerfully alkalizing the body.
Few people can get cesium in their possession, but lithium and rubidium are good second choices. Alkalinity gives the kidneys some much needed rest and it also globally gets rid of all types of infection throughout the body.
Lithium Oratate in Neurotypical Individuals:
Low-dose Lithium Orotate, with taurine has a calming GABA like effect (but it does not desensitise GABA receptor sites), it is mildly anti-inflammatory, it stimulates neurogenesis in the hippocampus which is the brain's primary memory centre, and is overall health for the health of the brain.
MEDICINAL APPLICATIONS OF LITHIUM OROTATE
Lithium orotate can be used therapeutically to treat a variety of different health problems, including the following (among others that are not listed here):
- Lyme disease ADHD/ADD
- Behavioral issues, including aggression, neurosis, antisocial behavior, and violence
- Alcohol addiction, alcohol poisoning, drug addiction, pathological gambling, etc.
- Allergies and allergic arthritis
- Lou Gehrig’s Disease / Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)
- Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease
- Anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa
- Ascites, Asperger’s, autism, and related conditions
- Asthma, Atherosclerosis, Atypical psychosis
- Autoimmune disorders (including arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), Crohn’s disease, diabetes, encephalomyelitis, Felty’s syndrome, fibromyalgia, Guillain-Barre syndrome, hidradenitis suppurativa, Meniere’s disease, Morgellons disease, multiple sclerosis (MS), rheumatoid arthritis, Sjorgen’s syndrome, thrombocytopenia, and others)
- Chronic pain (sciatica, back pain, neck pain, etc.)
- Complex Regional Pain Syndrome / Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy
- Brain damage
- Bipolar disorder, borderline personality disorder, explosive disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), panic disorder, schizoaffective disorder, schizophrenia, Tourette’s syndrome, social anxiety/phobia, and other mental health disorders or conditions
- Canavan’s disease, Chronic fatigue
- Headaches and migraines, Confusion
- Cotard’s syndrome, Demyelinating diseases
- Depression, GAD (generalized anxiety disorder), irritability, and Tay-Sachs disease
- Depressed immune system, Diarrhea/colitis
- Down’s syndrome, DNA damage, Duodenal ulcer
- Eclampsia, Edema, Eczema, Epilepsy, Fetal alcohol syndrome
- PTSD and PTSD flashbacks, Forgetfulness
- Fractures and bones that won’t heal, Fragile X syndrome
- GERD, Glaucoma, Gout, Heart disease
- Heavy metal toxicity, herbicidal toxicity, mercury poisoning, radiation therapy damage/poisoning, etc.
- Hemochromatosis, Hemolytic anemia
- Hepatitis C, cirrhosis, and some other liver problems
- Huntington’s disease, Hyper IgE syndrome
- Hyperadrenalism and hypercortisolism
- Hyperthyroidism, lymphocytic thyroiditis, and other thyroid conditions
- Hypoparathyroidism, Impulsivity
- Acute and chronic pathogenic infections (including infectious mononucleosis, chickenpox, HSV1/HSV2, shingles, Epstein-Barr virus, AIDS/HIV, prion diseases, viral lymphadenopathies, and others)
- Infertility, Inflammatory bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Insomnia, nightmares, and other sleep disorders
- Ischemic heart disease, Juvenile convulsive disease
- Klein-Levin syndrome
- Kleptomania, trichotillomania, and other manias
- Metabolic syndrome, Motor neuron disease, Myotonic dystrophy, Neutropenia, Diabetic neuropathy
- Organic brain syndrome, Osteoarthritis, Osteoporosis
- Pain syndromes, Paralysis , Periodic limb movement
- Peripheral nerve pain, Pheochromocytosis, Postpartum psychosis
- Premature ejaculation, Prostaglandin diseases, Prostatitis
- Reproductive disorders, Restless leg syndrome, Rhett syndrome
- Self-mutilation, Skin disorders, Spinal amyotrophy
- Spinal cord injury, Stiff person syndrome, Stroke
- Sydenham’s chorea, Tardive dyskinesia, Tinnitus, TMJ
- Ulcers, Vascular disease, Xenophobia
LITHIUM OROTATE: NATURAL TREATMENT FOR LYME DISEASE
Lithium orotate has been studied as a treatment for various pathogenic diseases, including Lyme disease. Not only does it have anti-pathogen properties, it also can be helpful in alleviating the symptoms of chronic Lyme disease during the healing process.
Lithium orotate protects the nervous system and the brain, and can cross the blood-brain barrier to access the brain and nervous system directly (note that lithium carbonate can’t do this, and that this action is part of what makes lithium orotate more bioavailable and more effective than lithium carbonate).
In terms of Lyme disease, this is extremely important since the Borrelia can (and does) take up residence in the nervous system and in the brain, leading to neurological issues.
Lithium orotate can treat nervous system issues by stimulating the production of natural detoxification enzymes in the brain like glutathione as well as through other powerful mechanisms of action. Glutathione is able to target pathogens, and it is also able to help remove toxins and waste.
In the brain and nervous system, lithium orotate is also valuable for neurological Lyme disease treatment since it improves the communication between nerve cells, likely leading to decreased neurological symptoms. Long term use of lithium orotate can stimulate the hippocampus to produce stem cells.
Then, these stem cells can be converted to neurons. Thus, besides increasing communication, lithium orotate stimulates the production of new neurons in the brain. In a brain and nervous system that may have suffered damage due to Lyme disease, this can be a vital part of a full recovery.
Lithium orotate can also be an important part of detoxification in that it directly targets poisons and toxins, including heavy metals and chemicals, as well as toxic substances like arachidonic acid, a major cause of nervous system inflammation. Reduction of arachidonic acid in particular can reduce pain in general, specifically leading to a reduction of headaches and migraines.
Most pathogens, including the Borrelia bacteria, can’t survive in an alkaline environment. They prefer slightly more acidic living conditions. When a person eats a healthy diet and takes care of their health, the pH level of the human body increases to around 7.4 on average. It becomes slightly alkaline (7 is considered neutral on the pH scale).
However, stress, poor diet, sickness, and other factors can contribute to the body becoming more acidic (a pH below 7), and an increased likelihood of infection or a flare-up of an existing, dormant infection. In the treatment of Lyme disease, making the body alkaline and therefore inhospitable to Borrelia can have an the effect of reversing the infection, and pH therapy can also make Reactive Oxygen Species medicines more effective (CDS/MMS, for example, becomes more powerful as a person’s body becomes more alkaline).
HOW TO TAKE LITHIUM OROTATE AS A TREATMENT FOR LYME DISEASE
Lithium orotate can be taken in a dose between 5-20 mg per day on average although it is possible to take up to 80 mg daily if you’re trying to alkalize your body. Always start with the lower dose of 5 mg per day to start so you can understand how it feels to take lithium orotate, then increase the dose over the course of a week or to two weeks.
For Lyme disease, consider taking 5mg three times per day (for a total dose of 15mg per day). Lithium makes some people feel tired, and if this is the case for you, consider planning your three doses for times of the day when it’s okay if you’re a little sleepy (such as first thing after you wake up, when you eat dinner, and when you go to bed; don’t take it in the middle of the day while working if it makes you tired, for example).
After 1 month of taking lithium orotate, reduce the dose to 10mg per day (taken as 5mg twice a day). Carefully track your symptoms each day before and after starting lithium, and if you notice a recurrence of symptoms after reducing your dose the first time, increase the dose back to 15mg per day for another month and then try again.
If your symptoms don’t return, stay at the 10mg dose for another 30 days. After 30 days at 10mg, reduce the dose to 5mg daily and again see if you notice any symptoms returning.
If you don’t have any symptom recurrence, continue with the 5mg per day dose for as long as you feel that it benefits you (consider this 5mg per day dose a “maintenance” dose).
If you’re experiencing high levels of stress, or if you have an anxiety disorder, PTSD, or related mental health concern, your requirement for lithium may temporarily increase during particularly stressful periods of time. Consider increasing your dose of lithium during these time periods. You can decrease it again later if you’d like.
Children, pregnant and breastfeeding women, and the elderly can also use lithium orotate safely as a treatment for Lyme disease. Children as young as 2 years old have taken lithium orotate safely. The important thing when it comes to giving children lithium orotate is that their kidneys are functioning properly, and that their creatinine clearance is normal.
Note, however, that children should, of course, receive a lower dose than an adult. Start with ½ of a 5mg lithium capsule or tablet at first in an older child, or even less than this for a younger child, and increase the dose slowly.
Why use Natural Lithium Orotate in place of Toxic Lithium Carbonate
Lithium has so many beneficial effects for the bipolar brain, the depressed brain and also for healthy brain’s to prevent ageing related diseases and it would be nice to obtain these benefits but without the side-effects and low-dose lithium orotate combined with other remedies may enable us to get the brain benefits of lithium orotate without the side-effects of the pharma drug Lithium Carbonate that so toxic.
It appears that lithium orotate is absorbed into the brain more efficiently than lithium carbonate and so lower doses ARE still effective and many people feel that they are, but without the side-effects.
It used to be a mystery as to how lithium works but it exerts multiple therapeutic effects and by understanding these effects and taking additional remedies that enhance these effects, we can enhance the effectiveness of the low-dose lithium orotate and get the benefits without the side-effects.
Lithium is not a Drug it’s an Essential Nutrient Found In Nature
When you think of lithium what comes to your mind, do you think of a powerful drug associated with serious mental illness, well that’s one aspect of lithium but it’s a mistake to think that the only role lithium has in health and medicine.
When animals have been fed a diet containing no lithium they suffered serious health consequences to their spleen, immune system, reproductive system and brain health; establishing that lithium is an essential nutrient required in our diet.
The exact daily requirement has not yet been determined, preliminary suggestions are that the RDA for lithium should be about 1 perhaps 2 mg for the average healthy person.
Lithium Orotate Dosage
When to Take: First thing in morning with breakfast then with lunch.
You might consider taking Lithium Orotate at 5 to 20 mg per day along with a dose of Ionic Rubidium. It's common for adults to start with 10 mg daily for the first week or two, and then increase to 20 mg daily if needed and well-tolerated.
Side effects are fairly uncommon at these low doses, though occasionally it seems to cause slight sedation. If so, it's common to move the full dose to bedtime.
Lithium orotate can also be utilized in children and teens with ADHD, Autism, DMDD, or depression who experience emotionally reactive, angry, and aggressive behaviors.
It's common to typically start with a 2.5 - 5 mg dose in a liquid or tablet form, for 1-2 weeks and then titrate up the dose every 1-2 weeks until target symptoms show improvement, to a maximum dose of around 20 mg daily.
Lithium Orotate Side Effects
Lithium orotate is thought to be a safe, inexpensive, and often surprisingly helpful adjunct to other treatments, whether those are medications or natural therapies.
Hyperthyroidism or Hypothyroidism.
Lithium can interfere with the production of thyroid hormones (the manufacture of T4 and conversion of T4 to T3) and if these effects are strong enough it can cause hypothyroidism.
Furthermore lithium and iodine are antagonistic minerals (as one goes up it displaces the other). To combat these effects it’s a GOOD idea to take some supplemental iodine when on lithium to prevent iodine deficiency and support thyroid function.
On low dose lithium Orotate the anti thyroid effects are very minimal. People either have robust enough thyroid function to take low dose lithium orotate without supplemental iodine, for others however the simple inclusion of 400-800mcg iodine prevents a decline in thyroid function.
CONTRAINDICATIONS FOR LITHIUM OROTATE SUPPLEMENTATION
People who are on the list below should not exceed a daily dose of 10mg per day of lithium orotate. These individuals who meet the criteria below can still take supplemental lithium, however they are advised to obtain the supervision of a professional and to take a lower dose.
- Women who are pregnant or nursing
- People with late- or end-stage kidney disease
- Infants, young children, or elderly patients
- Previous lithium-cased kidney problems
- People with Brugada syndrome (a heart condition)
- Patients with cystic fibrosis
- People taking some pharmaceutical medications like NSAIDS
- People currently taking pharmaceutical lithium carbonate (DO NOT combine lithium carbonate with lithium orotate; people taking lithium carbonate are already likely near a toxic level of lithium administration, and lithium orotate supplementation may push them over the edge toward lithium toxicity)
Note that some people may be particularly sensitive to lithium, and may have a stronger response than most even with a lower dose. These individuals are the most likely to experience any side effects. This is rare though and only occurs in about 1% of the population
SIDE EFFECTS OF LITHIUM OROTATE SUPPLEMENTATION
Lithium orotate causes very few side effects, especially when it’s compared with lithium carbonate. However, some people may have some mild side effects. The most common of these are listed below:
- Abdominal pain or gastrointestinal discomfort
LITHIUM OROTATE: SUMMARY
Lithium Orotate is valuable for a wide range of health problems. Think of it as a “chill pill” that reduces both anxiety and depression to create a more “level” mood. It has a positive effect on nerves and brain tissues.
Increase the Lithium Orotate dose up to 20 mg if you like the effects and feel like you need a higher dose. Some doctors recommend taking as much as 80 mg of Lithium Orotate daily, but 20 mg is a good average.
You may experience a detoxification when you alkalize the body with natural Lithium Orotate, so if you suddenly experience detoxification symptoms after taking Lithium or Rubidium, halve the dose, but continue taking it, and wait for a few days before trying to increase the dose again.
If you then feel BETTER, this supplement is probably helping you and you should slowly raise the dose again slowly over time.
- I started taking it for repetative thoughts. It is fascinating stuff and the fact it not only breaks the blood brain barrier it also lowers glutamate and increases GABA which is what is needed for repetative thoughts. Its still early days for me on LO but the first day I took it. It put a brake on the thoughts and I felt calm and happy.
- Thanks! My md suggested I take it when my mom died rather than take antidepressants and it worked like magic. Now I realize it’s a great supplement to continue taking!
- It’s so great for the anxiety & depression I suffer from. I’m 77 alone, fearful, sad. I am taking 5 mg for 2 weeks it’s like miracle. my mind has slow down it really help me so glad for people like you getting the info out there. Thank you so much!
- I was desperate to get my 3.5 years old autistic son who was extremely anxious to be around other children and scared of everything. He regressed into into autism at 3 years and stopped talking and I watched him for 3.5 months changing into something else unable to help him. He was jumping around with a deep loud voice and couldn't seat or focus for few second. Then I gave him this mineral and not only he can attend preschool (specialized one) without crying, but his non-stop talking in gibberish has reduced, but also he can sit and read his flashcards.
Disclaimer: Lithium Orotate and other supplements discussed are generally considered safe, however, they should not be started without your doctor’s knowledge and supervision. If you are taking medication already, be sure to talk with your doctor before adding any of these items.
If you are considering going off medication, remember never to stop your medication suddenly—always consult with your doctor about how to safely taper off any psychiatric medication.
**These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Article Excerpt Links:
- J Pharm Pharmacol. 1978 Jun;30(6):368-70. Rat brain and serum lithium concentrations after acute injections of lithium carbonate and orotate. Kling MA, Manowitz P, Pollack IW. PMID:26768
- Double-blind, controlled trial of inositol treatment of depression.
Levine PMID: 7726322 DOI: 10.1176/ajp.152.5.792
- doi: 10.1194/jlr.M002469
- Vanadium and manic depressive psychosis.
Naylor PMID: 6443582
- Naylor GJ, Smith AH. Vanadium: a possible aetiological factor in manic depressive illness. Psychol Med. 1981;11:249–256. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
- Cell Transplantation, Vol. 18, pp. 951–975, 2009 0963-6897/09 DOI: 10.3727/096368909X471251 Copyright 2009 Cognizant Comm. Review of Lithium Effects on Brain and Blood Wise Young